On Friday, 279 girls were abducted by armed men who raided their state-run school in Nigeria’s northwest Zamfara State. Yusuf Idris, a spokesman for the regional governor, said Tuesday the girls had been safely returned and were all accounted for. Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari said on Twitter that he was “pleased” the ordeal “has come to a happy end without any incident.”
“We are working hard to bring an end to these grim and heartbreaking incidents of kidnapping. The Military and the Police will continue to go after kidnappers,” he said.